At the end of the summer, families want to hear their child had “the best summer ever.” To help make that happen, Portage Township YMCA is offering two day camps, keeping kids in Portage and the surrounding areas adventurous, active, engaged and healthy all summer long. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. But for some kids, summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending Portage Township YMCA summer camps is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“It’s imperative that kids stay engaged socially, physically and academically throughout the summer. Summer camp is a wonderful way to ensure that,” says Amber Bardsley, School Age Child Care Coordinator, Portage Township YMCA. “In our No Bummer Summer & Adventure camps, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp to keep them active and engaged all summer long.”
Amber Bardsley says there are five reasons why children should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child. Visit www.ymcaofportage.org for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, and canoeing, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The Portage Township YMCA offers: No Bummer Summer Camp & Adventure Camp. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Portage Township YMCA offers financial assistance to those in need. If you’re interested in helping send kids to camp this summer, you can donate to the Y at ymcaofportage.org.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 131 years. The Portage Township YMCA continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
Portage, IN 46368
Visit Portage Township YMCA Partner Profile